3 things for an AF successor

TomLenham

OK, so if Jan has genuinely been asking around for some thoughts on what we'd like to see in an AF successor (true Jan?) then I think we should have a thread that's simple to read and DOESN'T have any of the all too frequent gripes and moans. If you don't like the AF100 or it's future potential, then get something else please and enjoy using it. So, this a list: you're allowed to name THREE things you'd like to see altered/improved in the next iteration of the camera. Here's mine:

1 - 10 bit 4:2:2
2 - Improved line resolution / sharpness
3 - Higher bitrate codec, either AVC-intra on P2 or selectable Pro-res/dnxhd on ssd

edit: ooh, I've been made a sticky!

Last edited:
1 - Higher Resolution
2 - Significant Improvement in DR
3 - Dial in (ex. from 100-3200+) ISO/Gain while recording

1) 10 Bit 4:2:2 10 Bit recording internal & SDI out
2) More image quality (NO MORE BANDING !!!!! NO MORE BANDING !!!)
3) More dinamic

1-Better dynamic range
2-10 bit 4:2:2
3- Better resolution

And if sticking with m4/3 a line of cinema style lenses. Better native glass options would benefit current owners as well as future buyers of an m4/3 camera.

1. More filmic/Less video-ish look
2. More resolution
3. 1:1 magnification. I would rather trust my eyes than the camera!

1: AVC-Intra and/or Ultra to (at least) Micro P2
2: 1:1 focus assist while recording
3: Improved highlight rolloff

1. Sharper
2. 1:1 focus assist during recording
3. Overcrank/burst modes for slo-mo, similar to what Sony has - 720p at 120fps for 12 seconds would be Awesome.

Better dynamic range
Focus 1:1 (+ ETC mode for certain situations - thank you very, very, much)
100/120 fps

(Better resolutions is nice but me belives higher dynamic range is more important for picture quality)

And if sticking with m4/3 a line of cinema style lenses. Better native glass options would benefit current owners as well as future buyers of an m4/3 camera.

FWIW, Zeiss has an entire lineup of CP.2 and LWZ.2 cine glass in m43 mount

...and it's not very difficult to cinemod Voigtlanders or any other manual stills lenses

Having now bought a 250 that is absolutely superb it would be nice to have a camera that compliments it with shallow DOF.

Thanks guys, This is perfect. Don't need long explanations as to what or why Feature/function set. Sweet and short.

Somebody want to sticky this? and make my life easier?

Best,

Jan

stuck. good thread. Let's keep it on point, and not get side tracked on discussion. Just post your requests, +1 someone else's that you like, and let's leave it at that. Will improve your chances of someone like Jan taking these things into consideration when they can easily navigate the thread without a bunch of distractions.

Good work guys.

HPX250 with interchangeable lens mount & S35 size sensor.

I don't need 4K output, I have been down that road with the Red One.
90% of my video work is quick turnaround TV commercials where 2K is just dandy.

Last edited:
-. updated menu system, something a bit more interesting (weird request, but yeah)
-. Oversized 4/3 sensor (GH2)
-. Full sensor record mode: if it's going to be 4:3, make it so that we can use most of the entire square sensor for anamorphic or whatever we deem fit.
-. ETC mode: just like the GH2, to accent the Full Sensor record mode or standard 16:9 recording.
-. 1080/60+ Out of box.
-. Some sort of port/communication for the rawest possible sensor readout to an external device to harness the camera's full potential. Make this dual recordable to internal and external simultaneously.

Keep price where it is.

Back